Castle dating 1219
The chimney-piece at one end of the dining-room is of 17th-century workmanship.It is richly carved with square panels above the shelf and round-headed panels below.The Priory—so mis-called—formerly the rectory, stands at the west end of the town, on the north side of the road at the corner, but is completely hidden from it by trees. The George Hotel was licensed in 1540, and much of the original building still stands, although it was refronted some time in the 18th century.There are old beams in the ceiling of the ground floor, which was probably one long room.The castle, held for the King in the Civil War, was besieged in 1644 and probably reduced to a ruin at this time.Restorations have been undertaken by the present (1931) owner. The keep dates from the late 12th to early 13th century and there are also remains of a 13th century gatehouse, curtain walls and an undercroft, with a chapel and 17th century domestic buildings. (1)Pembridge Castle is an interesting example of a small border castle.The earliest structure appears to be the late 12th or early 13th century Keep.
The nearest railway station is at Hook, on the London and South Western Railway.
It was Royalist during the Civil War and suffered greatly during the siege of 1644 when largely ruined.
During the early C20 the castle belonged to Thomas Bartlett, a doctor and antiquarian and bishop of a little known Anglo-Orthodox sect, who restored it to its present state.
Chapel block: two storeys with undercroft, two 4-light C17 square-headed wooden framed windows, one with chamfered mullions, the other with ovolo moulded mullions (probably imported).
Hall block to north-west: two storeys with projecting porch and tall 2-light traceried window with traceried transom lighting staircase to right. (7) Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.